Finding a job is not always easy, but it’s especially difficult today considering how tough the job market is. Prepare yourself for the challenges ahead by accepting the basic truths we have listed below:
- You’re not guaranteed to get a position because you think the job description is a “perfect fit” with your background.
- The cover letter you spent hours slaving over might never be read by a hiring manager.
- Every hiring manager or recruiter you deal with during your job search might not be as nice, understanding, or polite as you are.
- Even if you are the perfect fit for a job opportunity, there is always the possibility that someone else out there is an even better fit.
- You may never hear back from the hiring manager who told you he would let you know whether or not you got the job by the end of the week.
- You might to have to send out dozens or even hundreds of resumes/applications before landing a job offer.
- The job postings you apply to (and get excited about) might already be filled.
- There are hundreds, even thousands of people out there competing to get the same jobs that you are applying for.
Finding a job is definitely hard work, and you are probably going to face a lot of rejection before successfully landing an offer, but you shouldn’t let these realities dampen your spirit. The ultimate keys to a successful job search are a positive attitude, confidence, and determination. As long as you accept the challenges that lie ahead of you and face them head on, you will surely be successful in the end. Check out some of our previous Employment Tips for more advice on how to improve your chances of successfully landing a job in a difficult market.