Employers want to hire a person who…
- Follows instructions – If the ad says no phone calls, don’t call!
- Writes and proofreads well – Provide them with an error-free, clear and concise resume. Employers see a lot of resumes, so make sure yours shines.
- Respects deadlines – Be on time for an interview. Trains, planes and traffic are not an employer’s concern, no matter what.
- Is personable and friendly – Be friendly with the security guard, the receptionist, etc., not just the boss. Everyone counts.
- Actively listens to others – Focus your attention on what the interviewer is saying. Don’t concentrate on what you are going to say next. Try to revolve your next question around what the employer is saying.
- Speaks well – Talking with assertion will show that you are intelligent and articulate.
- Presents well – Dress appropriately and conservatively. Remember, no loud jewelry or heavy perfumes.
- Is enthusiastic – Use direct eye contact and positive body language. If your eyes shift around or you slouch, it may seem like you aren’t concerned or interested in what the employer is saying.