When entering a new work environment, it is important to make a good impression by going above and beyond expectations. However, if your efforts are heading in the wrong direction, it may hinder instead of help. Organizations appreciate employees that get behind the company’s goals, so it is important to first identify your new company’s needs and priorities, and focus on filling them. Here are some tips on what to listen and look for in order to best fit into and succeed in a new work environment:
- Be flexible and eager to help.
- Use the preferred method of communication, be it email, phone, or memo.
- Assess the company’s style to see if they are outspoken or reserved and then blend with the style.
- Identify a co-worker or supervisor who can be your mentor.
- Build good relationships with colleagues.