Many people believe that Facebook is only for connecting with people you went to high school with or checking out a potential date’s profile. But consider this: 18,400,000 people claim they found a job through Facebook. If you are not utilizing your Facebook network to find a job, you are missing out on opportunities. Below are some ways you can use Facebook to land a job:
- If you’re not on Facebook already, create an account immediately. Be sure that your profile is personal, but appropriate. Potential employers can and will search for your profile and inappropriate pictures or wall posts can cost you an interview or job.
- Connect with friends, family, and past co-workers. Since you can see other people’s employment history on their profile, check to see if anyone works at a company you are applying for and ask to be referred. There is also a website, InTheDoor.com, which will show you job openings at places where your Facebook friends work.
- Periodically, post status updates about your job search, mentioning you are looking for a job and asking if anyone knows of any openings. Be careful not to spam your network. They will become annoyed and tune you out.
- Join relevant Facebook groups and start networking. You can meet people in similar career fields who can offer tips to get you into that dream job.
- “Like” company pages where you want to work. Become a part of the community by commenting, liking, or sharing their posts. When a position opens up at the company that you want to apply to, write a wall comment on their page and ask who you should email if you have a question.
- Did you know companies actually post jobs on Facebook? They use the Marketplace application to post job ads. Search for them under the “Jobs” tab in the Marketplace app.
Don’t forget to like Whitman Associates on Facebook!