Is it a constant battle for you to find what you need at work? Where are those note cards? Where are all the pens?! Who took my stapler?!!
This week’s employment tip is all about reclaiming your desk at work so that you can, well, work! Here are some ideas:
- Knock it out in a morning!
- When no one else is around, you will be able to concentrate on the task at hand.
- Divide and conquer.
- Organize all of your junk into groups and piles, and then attack them. Put old notes in one pile, business cards in another, pens and pencils in another, etc. Start throwing away old stuff.
- Put everything in its right place.
- Assign a definite home for everything. Compartmentalize.
- Tie up loose ends.
- Organize the jungle of wires that threaten to consume your workspace. Fasten them together into one bundle so that they are not a trip hazard (and annoyance!) under your desk.
- Use virtual space!
- Unless you really need a hard copy, why not scan your documents and save them on your computer?
- Keep your friends close…
- Try to keep important and most-used items close at hand.
- Stake your claim!
- Consider labeling your stuff so that if co-workers borrow something, you will be able to reclaim it without any confusion. To avoid seeming lame, try labeling it in a fun (and appropriate) way.
These are just some of the ways to get your work desk in order. They can help increase your productivity and decrease your stress and frustration. If you can think of any more, please share them with us on our Facebook page!