While a full-time, permanent position is ideal for most professionals in the workforce, temporary positions can be a great option for many people who find themselves looking for additional income and/or experience while pursuing that permanent job. Below, we have listed several situations where a short term job could be beneficial to your search for a permanent position. Although, our list is definitely not comprehensive; temporary work can be a great option for just about anyone.
1. Recent College Graduates
- Temporary work is a great option for recent graduates who do not have a permanent position lined up upon graduation.
- Temping can help give college graduates more real world, professional experience to add to their resume, especially if you didn’t have internships or work study experience while in school.
- Utilizing a temporary staffing agency can help fill in the employment gap on your resume between graduation and starting your first permanent position. Potential employers will be impressed to see that you have been working and gaining experience while pursuing more full-time work.
- Lastly, temporary work can help get your foot in the door with a company that you would not otherwise have access to. If the company you are temping for is pleased with your work, they could consider you for any full-time openings they might have.
2. Filling in the Gap
- Like with recent college graduates, temp work can help fill in employment gaps on your resume. Even if the temporary work you are doing isn’t exactly relevant to your career goals, at least you can show a potential employer that you have not been sitting idle while searching for a new position.
- Temporary work is also a great source of income when you’re in between jobs. While you probably won’t make as much as you were in your last permanent position, a little money is better than no money.
- Temp jobs can also help expose you to new industries or environments that you might not have had the opportunity to explore otherwise. You might find a new interest or change your career goals after having a great experience temping within a different industry.
3. After Retirement
- Temp work is an excellent option for professionals who have decided to end full-time careers, but aren’t quite ready to stop working altogether.
- Part time work can bring in a little additional income or help fill your newly empty schedule.
- Temping is also a good option because you can do daily or short term jobs, without making a long-term commitment.
- Temp work can also be a good way for retired military personnel to transition into a civilian work environment.
- Temporary staffing agencies value your years of professional experience.
4. Re-Entry Professionals
- Professionals who are reentering the workforce after taking time off from their careers should definitely consider temp work as a way to get reacquainted with the office environment instead of charging in at full speed.
- Coming back into the job market after a break in your career, to care for children or aging parents, can make it hard for you to start right back where you left off. Temporary work can help you get your foot in the door with an organization, and prove to them that you are ready to rejoin the workforce.
Staffing agencies like Whitman Associates help job seekers to transition into the workforce. Working temporary positions is definitely a positive step in the right direction and will help to find the right role for anyone out of work.